Saturday, January 28, 2012

Does kindness matter?

Does being kind really matter? We all know that there are an almost limitless number of ways in which any single individual can be kind – a smile, holding the elevator door for someone, inviting a friend over for dinner – but do any of them really make a difference? Of course people may seem appreciative of one's kindness, but that's not the question. The question is, whether or not a moment of kindness, even if forgotten, changes a person in some profound manner. Does a gesture of kindness give a person something which they didn't have before? Or are these merely questions we ask ourselves in order to give our lives some existential meaning in a meaningless world?


One of America's favorite movies for the better part of fifty years, has been Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life. While we typically identify it as a Christmas movie, the message of the film reaches beyond a single holiday. We're all familiar with the story and the character of George Bailey. He touched so many lives without ever knowing it. Yet how many of us dare to ask ourselves: “Am I a George Bailey? Does my life have even a fraction of the impact that George's did?” After all, sometimes it's difficult, if not impossible, to be kind to people. Health, finances, or one's own internal state can hinder us in our efforts to be as kind and giving as George Bailey -- and even he broke down and needed cosmic intervention to see that his kindness truly mattered.

Unfortunately, no one in the real world is granted such cosmic intervention, which leaves us guessing as to whether or not our acts of kindness make any real difference in people's lives. For the most part, the only method which we have for determining whether or not kindness matters, is our own personal experience with those who have been kind to us. When someone has been kind to you, has it made a difference? It has for me. When I recall those who have been kind to me, I do so with great fondness. From those who have simply listened to me in my pain, to those who've encouraged me to push forward, acts of kindness have truly made a difference in my life, and for that I remain eternally grateful. Not just for the acts themselves, but especially for the people behind the kindness.

The frustrating part of being kind is never knowing if kindness will do for others, what it has done for us. People may say “thank you” for holding the elevator door, and surely they'll eat that meal which we've cooked for them, but will that kindness really mean anything to that person? Will they be profoundly changed from a single act of kindness? Or is being kind to others merely an act of vanity to comfort us in our quest for immortality?

The more I live and experience the world, the more I come to believe that kindness probably doesn't make much of a difference to most people. After all, how many times have we been kind only to have it thrown back in our face? The hope that kindness will change someone is no real hope at all. There is no real chance that being kind to someone will benefit them – or us. Yet, I will continue to be kind to others. I will continue to say good morning, and good evening. I will continue to smile at people on the street. I will continue to be kind to those who don't ask for it, and I will continue to treat people the way in which I want to be treated.

Does it all matter in the grand scheme of things? Is there even a grand scheme of things for it to matter to? I don't know. What I do know is that kindness has made a real difference in my life, and while there may be no “real” chance of it making a difference, there is always that slim chance that it will matter to someone, somewhere – and so I will continue to struggle to be kind, in an increasingly unkind world.

6 comments:

  1. You are a stop and reflect kinda writer. Thanks for you thoughts...I want to be a member of this club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a fantastic compliment.

      Delete
    2. Interesting and provocative blog post, Chuck.

      I see you mentioned my all-time favorite movie, "It's A Wonderful Life." Every year I watch it. Every year I cry. And every year I come away refreshed and energized to perform whatever "acts of kindness" I am capable of doing.

      YES, kindness does matter. We may never know it at the time...but years later, I like to think that the little things we've done to help others may come around to make a difference. They may encourage those we've helped to reach out and be kind to someone else.

      Here's one little example. Years ago, I pulled into a parking lot at the University of Nevada, running late for my daughter's graduation from college. The price was steep...but I was late and willing to pay whatever they charged. I was shocked when I was informed that the man in the car ahead of me (a complete stranger) had already paid for me! So...I paid for the car behind me (again, someone I did not know.) I always wondered how far this act of kindness continued...

      Love your blog! Keep up the good work.

      Delete
    3. Hi Jan,

      That is a GREAT story! I too would love to know how that turned out -- sometimes I feel as if being kind doesn't make a difference, yet as I said, it just might make a difference to someone, somewhere and since we never know who it will matter to, we need to do what we can. Call it fighting the long defeat ala Tolkien's philosophy in The Lord of the Rings, but that small hope still remains.

      It's a Wonderful Life is also my favorite movie of all time. :)

      Delete
  2. I think that if the kindness comes from the heart, and is reflective of the truth in that heart, then it does good. Unfortunately, I find that some acts of kindness are not truly from the heart, but from the head, ego, pride,etc. Those acts fail. Its like getting a hug from the enemy before they stick a knife in your back..... I find that some people have rules of what is good, right and do perform those rules, but their heart is saying something different than their actions.....

    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comments -- especially about ego and pride. Something more that I'll reflect upon. :) Thanks Joanie!

      Delete