Friday, July 27, 2012

Breaking the first commandment of the blogging gods!



By now, I'm sure I've lost most of my regular readers because, well, I haven't been blogging (even though I said I would.) There are numerous reasons for this -- some of them good, some of them not so good. One of the reasons is because I've been listening way too much to those who proclaim that the first commandment of blogging is that your blog must be about one particular topic. And since I cannot determine what I want my blog to be about, I do not blog.

I suppose the best option would be for me to create multiple blogs, and who knows, I may do just that. But is this really a rule that bloggers must ascribe to? If so, why? Does it not pigeonhole people into "groups" which bloggers are trying to reach? Why can't bloggers just reach people?

If I write something about politics, does that mean I am forever a political blogger? If I write about religion, does that mean from that time forth, I must always write about religion? If so, which religion? I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian -- does that mean I always have to blog about Eastern Orthodoxy? Many people blog about Eastern Orthodoxy, and they have successful blogs, but why do I have to conform to their particular blogging structure?

Supposedly, the experts say bloggers must "focus" and pin point our "market," as if people's interests were limited to nothing but religion or politics.

On the other hand, maybe my previous posts have been too broad. After all, I do not have a "successful" blog. I do not have hundreds, let alone thousands of followers. I do get lots of people sending me hate mail -- although this has slowed down in recent months, I guess all the "true Christians" got tired of coming here -- but that hardly makes me a successful blogger? So what am I to do? Should I "conform" to the "rules" which the blogging gods have set forth from on high? Maybe. On the other hand, maybe I won't. Whatever I do, I will try and blog more often, whether anyone reads my blog or not. Why? Because I am a writer and writing is what I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment