Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A brief story!



I'd like to tell a little story.

Imagine yourself a bachelor. You don't like “cleaning” your house very much, but it must be done. Or does it? Perhaps you could "sort of " clean house. Yeah, that'll do it! So you begin "cleaning" your house in a new manner -- by sweeping all the dirt, mud, and dried dog food under your living room rug – for a year! No one will know the “truth” that your house is filled with dirt. After all, no one is going to look under that rug, are they? The house “looks” just fine, and that's what's important! Appearances are what matters -- after all, all the men's magazines say so!

Now, let us jump ahead one year. It's Thanksgiving and your entire family comes over. Things actually go pretty well. You all have a great meal, drink some wine, and maybe sit down to watch a movie. The kids are stretched out on the living room rug and then you're caught off guard – one of the kids lifts up the rug revealing a year's worth of filth to your entire family. “Ew,” one of the kids says, “that dog food has turned green!” One of your sarcastic family members, in an attempt to ease the uncomfortable nature of this ugly truth chimes in, “Geez . . . you know, that's a LOT of dirt. What do you do, just sweep it under the rug?” Everyone laughs – but you! You're angry. You're angry not because you're a crappy house keeper. You're angry at those stupid kids and that smart ass relative for pointing out the mere fact that there is a pile of dirt under the living room rug.

In fact, you stand up and shout, “how dare you point our that filth under my rug! You're such a jerk!”

The family begins to squirm and just then, one of the kids asks their parents, “Mom, dad. Why can't I clean my room by just pushing stuff under my bed?”

If you know the answer to that question, then you know why I wrote The Crazy Side of Orthodoxy.

PS: Please keep in mind this is meant to be funny folks! I mean, what else do single guys do with dirt, other than sweep it under the rug?

PPS: Actually I don't sweep dirt under the rug -- I just toss it in the wood stove.

PPPS: The wood stove comment has no "hidden message" at all -- I was just lighting the wood stove as I pondered this little tale!

4 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic book Chuck,I just started it, and don't want to put it down.....

    A must read people....
    Thank you Chuck for bringing awareness to old Cannon laws....Which I never,ever gave a thought to....It is hilariousness...Best of Luck .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. my husband tosses the dirt out side so the dogs can bring it back in again :D
    lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louanne,

    That's great! Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete