Friday, November 4, 2011

I now have my author's copies in hand -- it now feels official!

My author's copies of The Crazy Side of Orthodoxy arrived yesterday. As a first time author I must admit that the fact that I had been published by a legitimate and well known publishing house didn't feel 100% real until yesterday afternoon. That was when I was able to hold a copy of my book in my hands for the first time. It's amazing how the tactile experience of holding a book, flipping through the pages, and yes -- even smelling that "fresh from the presses" scent of the paper made everything seem so official.

Of course, it was all made official long before now, particularly when I signed my contract. It felt even more real when I first saw the artwork the great graphic designers at Regina Orthodox Press had put together. Then when it was officially released on October 28th it really felt real. But, actually holding the book; seeing it and even reading it (or at least the first eight chapters) made it all so final. Yes of course, I've read the book before. I wrote it. In fact, as I went through the editing process I got sick of reading it. But now it has been sometime since I read it, and having an actual book makes all the hard work, months of research, and even criticisms worth it.

The journey I've been on in the process of writing The Crazy Side of Orthodoxy was a long, tough and at times disturbing one. Yet if this book helps people to think just a little outside of their theological boxes, it will be worth it. Even though the book has not even been out one week yet, I still get feedback (especially via facebook) which assumes the worst about me. What were my intentions? Why am I dredging up things like this? One person on an online Orthodox Christian forum even implied that exposing such archaic laws might cause someone to not come to Orthodoxy who otherwise might. I find that a strange argument to make. Would we really rather be dishonest and deceptive just to gain converts? Should we ignore our dark past and pretend it doesn't exist? Is that really the Gospel we believe in? Well, for me it's not. For me, truth is more important that reputation. And finally having my own copy in hand makes the whole journey -- up until now, because it is far from over -- quite a worthy experience.



8 comments:

  1. "...legitimate and well known publishing house..." You're kidding, right? Regina Press is run out of a crazy man's garage. And a legitimate publishing house knows how to typeset a book. This was 'typeset' in Microsoft Word and looks like it. Get real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constantinople, I do know tolerate abusive language or personal attacks on my blog! I'm all for free speech and thus far have never deleted anyone comments, nor will I delete this one, but if you continue to personally attack the owners of Regina Orthodox Press I will delete it and prevent you from posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all due respect, where is the abusive language? Of course it's your blog and you can do as you please, but if you feel quite free calling the legitimacy of the Canons into question, I can't see why questioning the legitimacy of Regina Press gets up your ire.

    I mean...everyone is entitled to their opinion, as you so loudly opine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absurd and polemical language -- such as "Regina Press is run out of a crazy man's garage" seems to me to to be an absurd polemical attack on the mental health and/or character of someone. Constantinople did not criticize Regina Orthodox Press the publishing house for the subject matter they publish (which is not limited to "liberal" material by far) -- he hurled a personal insult at someone whom he doesn't care for. That's fine -- oh except it's not an argument for or against anything, it's a temper tantrum because he doesn't much care for ROP, "liberal Orthodoxy" or people who do the unthinkable -- question the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But, dear author, your book is filled with polemical and absurd language, much more so than my little post. I am only questionng the spiritual / mental health of one man, based on observable behavior. If you have read and follow Mr. Schaeffer's political / social ramblings of late, his spiritual / mental health does certainly become a question mark. Of course if he would admit to no longer being Orthodox, his views approving of abortion, homosexuality, calling holy scripture ridiculous and offensive, etc. ad nauseum would make much more sense. And I am hardly alone in that view. And there is no such thing as "liberal Orthodoxy," though it does seem to exist in the imaginations of some people. If Regina Press is going to participate in that fantasy, then, yes it something for which I do not care much. And since it is run by a man of questionable character (I.e. spiritual huckster, selling whatever sells...) who has gone from one extreme to the next in search of the spotlight, I cannot see how he can be supported. Perhaps you have another view...

    ReplyDelete
  6. polemical language directed at ideas, concepts, and absurd Church regulations cannot be compared to polemical language directed at other human beings.

    "And there is no such thing as "liberal Orthodoxy,""

    Do you consider Patriarch Bartholemew not to be Orthodox then?

    ReplyDelete
  7. To what are you referring, specifically, with regard to the Patriarch? some of his view are not part of the mainstream of Orthodox thought...he is not infallible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In regards to the Patriarch I'm referring to his position on the Canons. Surely you already knew to what I was referring.

    ReplyDelete