Saturday, January 5, 2013

People -- answer your texts!


Over the past few weeks I've texted several friends, several times, and in response I received -- well, no response. Now, I know for a fact that it's not a problem with my phone, because I've gotten text messages from these people in the past, so I know it works. In fact, I've gotten text messages from others on the same day. The problem is clearly not with the phone itself but with -- something else.

Do you know how it makes me feel when you refuse to answer me? It makes me wonder if my texts were sucked into the void of nothingness, along with my missing socks, my favorite ink pen, and that missing five dollar bill I've been looking for.

I mean, what's the deal? How hard is it to type less than 160 characters? You do it hundreds of times a day in response to other people -- why do you ignore me?

 Now I'll admit that I'm not that into texting. For the most part, I think people that text dozens of times per day have a serious problem. However, I've come to learn that, sometimes, texting can be useful. It's a quick way of communicating with someone -- assuming that the person you've texted actually takes the time to communicate back. When they don't, it becomes a quick way of deflating one's own perception of one's self.

I mean, if you don't answer me back -- what am I supposed to think? Did I do something to piss you off? Do you secretly hate me? Are you afraid to answer back because you believe that I've been possessed by aliens from another world and will come after you next? Have you been possessed by aliens from another world? Are you sick? In trouble? Dead? Do you need to talk about what's bothering you? Here I am. Oh, but then you might have to text -- or gasp -- call me, wouldn't you? And well all know that that's out of the question.

Look, I get that we live in a busy world and I get that you have better things to do with your time than answer my insignificant messages -- like answer all of the bullshit messages that come into your inbox. So yes, I know you're busy.  but guess what, I'm just as busy as you. And if I've taken a few minutes out of my day to text you a simple question, the least that you can do is be polite enough to respond.

I admit that this whole problem probably lies with me. I mean, I was raised to be civil and polite. Yes, yes, I know. Being polite is seriously out of fashion. It's much better to be a rude jerk than to be polite. I feel that way too sometimes. In fact, I feel that way right now!

 I'm not always polite. I can be a rude jerk with the best of them. But I would hope that my failed attempts at communication don't come across as being rude. I'd like to think that my friends can tell the difference between when I'm being a rude jerk and when I'm trying to be nice. But perhaps they cannot? Perhaps I'm such a poor texter, that my messages border on the insane? Who knows? I mean, I am pretty sure I heard a heart beating under the floor last night. That doesn't make me insane, does it?

Or perhaps you really have been possessed by aliens and don't know who the hell I am. Or maybe you'd rather I fade into oblivion? Or are you simply being rude?

Or, I suppose I've completely blown this whole thing out of proportion, and you simply forgot to text me in return. Oh, now I feel like such a worm for getting angry about this whole thing. You know what, forget I said anything at all. I'm going to slink away now, and go deal with that beating heart under the floorboards.


No comments:

Post a Comment